Divorce, Custody, & Family
Displaying 21 - 30 of 120

Parents on Active Duty: Legal Considerations

Your rights as a parent do not stop when you are in the military and called to active duty. There are many things to consider and plan for, especially if you are separated from your child’s other parent.  This is a summary of some of the relevant Maine laws that may help you understand your rights.

Calculating Your Child Support

How the Maine courts determine child support amounts.

Should I Use DHHS's Child Support Enforcement Services?

Introduction DHHS can collect child support for you. They can also help set up child support orders. They can help even if you or the children don't receive TANF or other public benefits. DHHS may be able to help you if:

Can I Get a DHHS Child Support Order Set Aside?

This information is to help you if you need to change a Department of Health Human Services (DHHS) Child Support Order. If a Court ordered you to pay child support, this information will not help you.

Child Support and Debt Due for Past Support

What is this information and how will it help me? This information is for parents who are being pursued by Maine DHHS for payment of child support, especially when there is no order of child support. It will help you prepare for your DHHS Support Hearing.

Power of Attorney for a Child

  Get Maine Power of Attorney for a Child form here

Maine DHHS is trying to get me to pay child support, but I don't know if I'm a parent

Introduction  This information is for possible parents who are being pursued by DHHS for payment of child support. We also have pages on these related topics: 

Military Search for Service by Alternative Means

If you are starting a family law case (such as a divorce or setting parental rights and responsibilities), you must tell the other party that you are bringing a court action against them. You do this by "serving" the other party. This means that you give copies of your court papers to the other party. Court rules tell you how this must be done.

Guardianship of a Minor

How can a family member or other responsible adult become the legal guardian of a child whose parents are unable or unwilling to care for them?

Grandparent Visitation Rights in Maine

In Maine, some grandparents may ask a court to give them contact or visitation with their grandchildren.  But, children’s parents usually have the right to decide how to raise their children including if the grandparents can see their grandchildren.  Therefore, except in urgent cases or where the grandparents have actually acted like the parents… More