For legal help, call us at 774-8211
Mondays 12:00 pm – 2:30 pm
Tuesdays 9:00 am – 11:30 am
Thursdays 9:00 am – 11:30 am
Getting a busy signal? Try our overflow numbers:
- (207) 764-4349
- (207) 942-8241
- (207) 622-4731
- (207) 784-1558
- (207) 255-8656
Do you speak a language other than English?
If you call us or come to our office, ask for a translator right away. We will provide one free of charge.
You can also call us at 207-774-8211. Press “2.” Then press:
1 for Spanish
2 for Chinese (both Mandarin and Cantonese)
3 for French
4 for Arabic
5 for Somali
6 for Portuguese (Brazilian)
7 for Vietnamese
Please leave a message letting us know where you are in the state, what kind of issue you have, and how we can reach you. A staff member will call you back within 5-7 business days.
Local Offices and Units
If you need help with something like a landlord-tenant issue, public benefits (TANF, SNAP, etc.), a debt, or many other common legal issues, use the information above to contact us. We will not be able to help you with criminal or family law cases. Click on the county where you live if you need the address of fax number for your local office.
Washington and Hancock Counties
Penobscot, Piscataquis, and Waldo Counties
Kennebec, Somerset, Knox, and Lincoln Counties
Androscoggin, Oxford and Franklin Counties
Cumberland, York, and Sagadahoc Counties
Pine Tree Legal Assistance is only able to help people who live in Maine, or have a legal problem in Maine. If you live in another state and you need legal help contact your local legal aid organization
We may have a statewide specialty unit that can help you with specific issues:
- The Family Law and Victim Rights Unit helps survivors of sexual assault, domestic violence, and stalking with protection orders, family matters, and related legal issues.
- The Consumer Unit helps people with foreclosure, student loan, used car purchase issues, credit card collection defense, and some other consumer defense issues. (Call your local office to reach the Consumer Unit).
- The Indigenous Peoples Unit helps Indigenous people with matters before the Penobscot Nation Tribal Court or Passamaquoddy Tribal Courts, with limited civil matters before state courts in Maine, and other matters in Maine or in the Wabanaki communities related to status as a member of a federally-recognized Tribe or First Nation.
- The Tax Unit helps people with federal tax issues.
- The Farmworker Unit helps farmworkers with their legal issues.
- Kids Legal helps parents and children with legal and education issues related to minor children, excluding divorce and parental rights.
- The Veterans Unit advocates for veterans in Maine, especially around issues of health and homelessness.
All Pine Tree Legal Assistance offices are closed for the following holidays and observances each year. If certain holidays fall on a weekend day, we may be closed the Friday before the holiday, or the following Monday. We will post updates for each closure, but to best plan how to contact us, keep in mind we are closed on the following days:
- New Year's Day
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Washington's Birthday (Presidents' Day)
- Patriots' Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Indigenous Peoples Day
- Veterans Day
- Day after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Day
The Administrative Office of Pine Tree Legal Assistance supports all six regional offices. It includes the Executive Director and staff responsible for Pine Tree’s financial systems, grants and fundraising, pro bono services, and informational technology. It also manages Pine Tree’s websites, including www.ptla.org, www.statesidelegal.org and www.kidslegal.org.
The Administrative Office does not handle requests for legal assistance.
Telephone: (207) 774-4753 x 1267
Mailing Address:P.O. Box 547
Portland, ME 04112
Presque Isle ME 04769
Fax (207) 764-2455
Address:13 Cooper Street
P.O. Box 278
Machias, Maine 04654
Fax (207) 255-8657
Address:115 Main Street, 2nd floor
Bangor ME 04401
Fax (207) 942-8323
Address:39 Green Street
P.O. Box 2429
Augusta ME 04338
Fax (207) 623-7774
Address:95 Park Street, 3rd Floor
PO Box 398
Lewiston, ME 04243
Fax (207) 783-8774
88 Federal Street
Portland, ME 04101 (Mailing)
PO Box 547
Portland, ME 04112
Fax (207) 828-2300
Client Complaints and Grievance Policy
If you were denied services and believe it was unfair, or if you are a client and have a complaint about PTLA, follow the instructions in our Client Grievance Policy to have your concerns heard.
Have feedback about our website? Use our website feedback form to let us know!