Join Us and Make a Difference Every Day
Pine Tree Legal Assistance employs a diverse team of individuals, each committed to making our communities more just.
Pine Tree Legal Assistance is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds, including women, Black, indigenous and people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ+, people with disabilities, immigrants, and people who have experienced poverty or homelessness.
Not convinced yet? This is what Legal Services Corporation President Jim Sandman has to say about PTLA:
“Since Pine Tree Legal Assistance opened its doors in 1967, it has developed a national reputation for leadership and innovation in the delivery of legal services to low-income people. Pine Tree was the first legal aid program in the country to create a website to provide basic legal information to people without a lawyer. Pine Tree created statesidelegal.org, the go-to national website for veterans and military families seeking information about their legal needs. In Maine, Pine Tree has had a huge impact: the abolition of debtors’ prison, the right to due process and a fair hearing in state welfare proceedings, the first successful employment discrimination lawsuits, improved housing codes and accessibility for people with disabilities, and nationally acclaimed foreclosure prevention work are all legacies of Pine Tree’s commitment to fairness and justice for all. Pine Tree is a national standard-setter for excellence in legal aid.”
Pay and Benefits at PTLA
- The salary range for PTLA attorneys and other exempt staff is currently $67,140 - $104,140, depending on experience.
- The salary range for paralegals and other non-exempt staff is currently $50,330 - $72,330, depending on experience.
- Rich benefit package includes 100% employer-paid health insurance premiums for employees, with 84% employer-paid family premiums and a Healthcare Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA) for assistance with healthcare costs; fully employer paid dental insurance, long term disability, basic life insurance; optional life insurance, flexible spending, and vision insurance available.
- Generous leave time for employees, starting with four (4) weeks of vacation annually, separate sick time accrual, twelve (12) paid holidays, and three (3) floating holidays annually, and paid parental leave.
- A 403 (b) retirement plan available to employees, with annual employer contributions after one year of employment (fully vested, no savings match required). Employees may also contribute to the plan at any time during employment through payroll deduction.
Important Notice: Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws
You can review the posters below, which will inform you about these rights:
Looking for Internships, Fellowships, or Volunteer Opportunities Instead?
Fellowships are posted here on this Careers page, but you can learn more about internships and volunteer opportunities at PTLA under the 'Volunteer' tab in main menu!