Community Resources

Submitted by admin on Mon, 08/20/2012 - 10:21
Publication Volume
Facet Content Type

Note: This article is very old! It was created in 2012 and may not be accurate today. We are working on updates and will post them soon. 

Table of Contents

Tribal Government and Agencies

Aroostook Band of Micmacs
Houlton Band of Maliseets
Penobscot Indian Nation
Passamaquoddy Tribe - Pleasant Point
Passamaquoddy Tribe - Indian Township

Statewide Crisis Services

2-1-1 Maine & Community Action Programs

Legal Services

Other Community Resources

Wabanaki Mental Health Assoc.
Maine Indian Tribal State Commission
Social Security Administration
Maine Human Rights Commission

Employment Information  

(All phone numbers in Area Code 207, unless noted)

Tribal Government and Agencies

Aroostook Band of Micmacs

Administration, Housing, Child/Family Services 764-1972 or 1-800-355-1435
Micmac Head Start Program 768-3217
Health Department 764-7219 or 1-800-750-1972
Micmac Domestic and Sexual Violence Advocacy Center  Office: 760-0570  Hotline: 551-3639 

Houlton Band of Maliseets:

Administration 532-4273 or 1-800-564-8524 (in state) or 1-800-545-8524 (out of state)
Maliseet Health Department 532-2240 or 1-800-640-2266
Maliseet Health Clinic 532-4229
Maliseet Housing Authority 532-9140
Indian Child Welfare 532-7260 or 866-3103
Social Services and LEAD 532-7260 or 1-800-532-7280
Domestic Violence and Sexaul Assault Advocacy Center Office: 532-3000 Hotline: 532-6401

Penobscot Indian Nation

Administration 817-7351 or 1-877-736-6272
Indian Health Services 817-7400
Penobscot Housing Dept. 817-7370
Penobscot Human Services 817-7492
Indian Island Police Department:
817-7358 (dispatcher)
827-7188/911 (emergency)
827-6336 (business)
Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Advocacy Center
Office:  817-3164
Hotline: 631-4886
Penobscot Tribal Court System
Director of Tribal Court 817-7342 
Clek of Courts 817-7329

Passamaquoddy Tribe – Pleasant Point

Administration 853-2600 ext. 254
Pleasant Point Health Center 853-0644
Pleasant Point Housing 853-6021
Peaceful Relations Domestic and Sexual Violence Advocacy Center Office: 853-2600 ext. 266; Hotline: 877-853-2613 (toll free)
Police Department 863-6100
Social Services 853-2600 ext. 258
Tribal Court System
Clerk of Courts 853-2600 ext. 251

Passamaquoddy Tribe – Indian Township

Administration 796-2301
Indian Township Clinic 796-2321
Indian Township Housing 796-8004
Police Department 796-5296
Indian Township Domestic Violence Program:  796-6106; Hotline:  214-1917
Tribal Court System
Clerk of Courts 853-2600 ext. 251
796-2301 ext. 205 (when court is in session)

Statewide Crisis Services

Health & Human Services

DHHS Child Abuse 1-800-452-1999 (24 Hour); TTY: 1-800-963-9490
DHHS Adult Abuse and Neglect 1-800-624-8404 (TTY)

Domestic Violence

Statewide: Maine Coalition to End DV 1-866-834-HELP (4357) (24 Hour)

Aroostook Band of Micmacs Domestic and Sexual Violence Program  Hotline: 551-3639  Office: 760-0570 

Houlton Band of Maliseets Domestic Violence and Sexaul Assault Advocacy Center Hotline: 532-6401  Office: 532-3000

Penobscot Indian Nation Domestic Violence and Sexaul Assault Program Hotline: 631-4886 (24/7) or 817-7469 

Passamaquoddy Pleasant Point Peaceful Relations  Hotline: 877-853-2613  Office: 853-2600 ext 266

Passamaquoddy Township Domestic Violence Program Hotline: 214-1917  Office 796-6106

Spruce Run (Penobscot County) 1-800-863-9909

The Next Step (Washington County) 1-800-315-5579 or 255-4785

Hope and Justice Project (Aroostook County) 1-800-439-2323 (24/7) or 764-2977

Rape Crisis Services

Rape Response Services (Penobscot County) 1-800-310-0000

Aroostook Mental Health Center 1-800-550-3304
Crisis Line Aroostook County 1-888-568-1112

Downeast Sexual Assault Svcs. (Washington County) 1-800-228-2470

Other Services

Youth Crisis Stabilization 1-800-499-9130
Statewide Suicide Referral Line 1-800-568-1112
Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222

2-1-1 Maine & Community Action Programs

2-1-1 Maine
2-1-1 Maine is part of a national movement to centralize and streamline access to health and human service information and resources. The State of Maine has thousands of programs offering all types of health and human services.  Search on their site here or call: 211

Community Action Programs bring community resources together such as heating assistnace and other utility issues, subsicized housing, child care, and transportation services for  disabled people. Get statewide map and contact information here or call 2-1-1 and ask for your local program.

Legal Services

Pine Tree Legal Assistance
Pine Tree Legal represents low-income people with legal problems. Six offices statewide: Go here for contact information. Native American Unit #: 1-877-213-5630

Volunteer Lawyers Project 1-800-442-4293
If you meet its eligibility requirements, the VLP can give you legal advice or informational materials for free. In some cases the VLP may provide a referral to a private attorney for free representation.

Legal Services for the Elderly 1-800-750-5353
If you are age 60 or older, LSE can give you free legal advice or limited representation.

Penquis Law Project 1-800-215-4942 or 973-3671
This group gives legal representation to low income residents of Penobscot and Piscataquis Counties in cases involving domestic relations. Priority is given to people who have experienced or are experiencing domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking. 

Disability Rights Center 1-800-452-1948 or 626-2774
Advice and legal representation to people with disabilities.

Bangor Court Assistance Program 561-2300 TTY: 941-3000
Volunteers are available at the Bangor District Court once a month to help you fill out family law and small claims court forms. Get schedule here or call Holly Jarvis at 941-3040.

Other Community Resources

Wabanaki Health and Wellness 992-0411 (or reach through: Maine Statewide Crisis Hotline: 1-888-568-1112)
Wabanaki provides culturally-sensitive psychological and social services to the Native American populations of Hancock, Penobscot, Piscataquis and parts of Washington Counties.

Maine Indian Tribal State Commission 817-3799

Social Security Administration
Statewide 1-800-772-1213
Bangor Area 1-877-405-1448; TTY: 1-800-325-0778
Presque Isle Area 1-866-837-2719; TTY: 764-2925

Maine Human Rights Commission 624-6290; TTY: 1-888-577-6690

Wabanaki Women's Coalition
Tribal Domestic and Sexual Violence Coalition

Employment Information

Maine Department of Labor
Go here to file your unemployment claim online
File an unemployment claim by telephone: 1-800-593-7660
Or go to your nearest Career Center
Bangor: 561-4050
Calais: 454-7551
Houlton: 532-5300
Machias 225-1900
Presque Isle: 760-6300

Updated May 2015