Welcome to PTLA’s Student Loan Project!
We provide free legal services to student loan borrowers.
We help people with:
- Applying for loan forgiveness or relief based on profession, disability, or school misconduct.
- Getting affordable payments through an income-driven repayment plan.
- Getting loans out of default.
- Challenging student loan servicer misconduct.
- Defending against debt collection lawsuits.
- Fighting tax or federal benefit offsets or wage garnishments.
- Navigating the changes to Public Service Loan Forgiveness.
- And more!
Federal Student Loan Repayment is Starting Soon!
For many federal student loans, payments and interest have been on pause since March 2020. That pause is coming to an end by September 2023. Starting in September 2023, interest will start to accrue on your loans again and in October 2023 your first payment will be due.
It is important to pay attention to mail from your student loan servicer, and to enroll in an Income-Driven Repayment Plan if you think that would help you repay your loans.
In order to make this return to repayment easier for borrowers, there will be an “on-ramp” to repayment over the next year. If you miss payments during this time period, your loan won’t go into default or be sent to a collection agency. Learn more about the restart of repayment.
Learn more about your rights and get answers to common student loan questions
Contact us for more information
Call us at (207) 764-4349 during our open hours each week:
- Mondays 12-2:30pm
- Tuesdays 9-11:30am
- Thursdays 9-11:30am