General Maine Homestead Exemption
All Maine residents who own their homes can claim a homestead tax exemption. Go here to learn more about the basic Maine Homestead Exemption and how service members based in Maine can qualify.
If you are a veteran and Maine resident you may qualify for an additional exemption.
Additional Exemption for Veterans & Certain Family Members of Veterans
Certain veterans qualify for an additional exemption of $6,000 including:
- Those who served during a recognized war period and are 62 years or older
- Those receiving 100% disability compensation;
- Those who became 100% disabled while serving.
A deceased veteran’s minor children or spouse may also be allowed to claim the exemption.
Surviving minor children are eligible if the veteran was receiving pension or compensation benefits at the time of their death or would be eligible if they were still living.
Surviving spouses are eligible if the veteran was receiving pension or compensation benefits at the time of their death or would be eligible if they were still living and the surviving spouse has not remarried.
Applying for the exemption is completely confidential.
*NOTE: The value of the exemption increases to $50,000 for veterans' "specially adapted housing units."
How Does the Exemption Work?
You need to apply. Maine Revenue Services posts application forms here. Fill out the form and bring it to your town office. If approved $6,000 of your home's assessed value will be exempt from property taxes.
Please note that you will most likely still have a tax bill after applying this exemption.
- Sarah owns a home in Maine and is a qualifying veteran
- Sarah’s home is worth $100,000
- Her town’s property tax (mill rate) is $10 per $1,000 of home value.
- Without the exemption Sarah owes $1,000 in property taxes.
- With the veteran exemption of $6,000, Sarah’s house will have a new tax value of $94,400.*
- Sarah will now owe $944 in property taxes.
*Remember: This amount can be combined with the general homestead exemption for a total of $26,000.
The value of this benefit will depend upon the tax rate in your community. Property taxes are calculated based on the assessed value of your home.
Find more legal information and help for service members, veterans and families on Stateside Legal
Thanks to the Tibor and Anna Doby Veteran Support Fund for supporting our efforts to educate our military service members and veterans about their legal rights.