Amending your birth certificate

The processes for changing your name or your gender marker on your birth certificate are different, and they have different requirements. You can learn more about both processes below.

If you live in New England, you may be able to get free legal representation through the GLAD Pop-Up ID Project. From GLAD: "Transgender people living in New England (Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island or Vermont) seeking to update their legal name and gender on federal and state documents can receive free legal representation through this rapid-response program."


Do I have to amend my birth certificate to do things like change my name or gender marker on my ID's or passport?

No. You do not have to amend your birth certificate to do these things. Amending your birth certificate may be a good step to take if you feel it is important for you - but it is not required. You will still be able to change your name and/or gender marker on your Maine driver's license or ID, on your passport, and with government agencies, even if you don't ever amend your birth certificate.


What will my new birth certificate look like? Will my previous name or gender marker be there?

At the time of writing this guide, this process is changing. A new Maine law, taking effect in November 2021, will allow you to have a new birth certificate issued if you change your name and gender marker - a birth certificate that will not say 'amended.' We will update this guide when the new law is in effect. You may want to consider waiting until then to amend your birth certificate, if having a new, and not an 'amended' birth certificate is important to you.

MaineTransNet is also watching this issue and updating their name and gender marker change guide.

Changing your name

Changing your name on your birth certificate often goes hand-in-hand with legally changing your name. Many Probate Courts are used to processing these changes together, and will have the forms for this process ready to go with the forms for your legal name change. If you are doing this at the same time, just let them know that you would like to amend your birth certificate when you change your name.

Note: It isn't required that you change the name on your birth certificate when you legally change your name – there is an extra $60 fee to do this, and you don't have to do it if you don't want to, or can't afford it.

Amending your birth certificate at the same time you legally change your name

When you go to your local Probate Court  for your name change, let the clerk know you would also like to amend your birth certificate. You will need to pay an extra fee of $60. You can only pay this fee by check, payable to "Treasurer, State of Maine." You will give your birth certificate and the check to the Probate Court, and when your name is changed, they will automatically send your check as a form documenting you legal name change to the Vital Records Office.

After this, the Office of Vital Records will send you an amended birth certificate, along with the original form (called a VS-14) from the court noting your legal name change.

Amending your birth certificate some time after you have legally changed your name

You can still amend your birth certificate after you have changed your legal name. You don’t have to do these processes at the same time. There are two ways you can do this.

  • If you have the original VS-14 form from the court (it looks like this)  - which they may give to you when you change your name, you can send this form to the Office of Vital Records, along with a $60 check, payable to “Treasurer, State of Maine.” You need to send the original of this form – they won’t accept a copy.  They will send you back the original, along with an amended birth certificate. Send your form and check to:

Vital Records
11 State House Station
220 Capitol Street
Augusta, ME 04333-0011

  • If you don’t have your original VS-14 form, you can return to the Probate Court where you changed your name, and ask them about amending your birth certificate. The court will be able to get a VS-14 form for you (there may be a small fee), accept your $60 check, payable to “Treasurer, State of Maine,” and may also send the form to the Office of Vital Records. This process may vary from court to court, don’t be afraid to ask! 

Changing your gender marker

The requirements for changing your gender marker on your Maine birth certificate have changed in recent years. It is an easier process now! You may also be able to use this process to update your name if you have had your name changed.

You will need to:

You can mail these things to:

Vital Records
11 State House Station
220 Capitol Street
Augusta, ME 04333-0011