How to: Change Your Name and Gender Marker in Maine

Content Type for Facets

This is a guide for adults in the state of Maine who want to change their legal name and/or gender marker. Your gender marker is the "M", "F", or "X" on many government issued IDs that often reflects a person's sex assigned at birth. This guide is especially written for trans or gender non-conforming people - but can be used by any adult who needs a name change!

It includes step-by-step information about how to navigate these processes in Maine, and links to other helpful resources for navigating these changes in federal systems if you want to update your social security card or passport.

If you are under the age of 18, this guide is not for you! The process for changing your name or gender marker is different if you are a minor. Read our article 'Minor Name Changes in Maine' to learn more about this process.

If you live in New England, you may be able to get free legal representation through the GLAD Pop-Up ID Project. From GLAD: "Transgender people living in New England (Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island or Vermont) seeking to update their legal name and gender on federal and state documents can receive free legal representation through this rapid-response program."

Is this guide for you?

You may use this guide if:

  • You live in Maine (or, in the case of a birth certificate change, were born in Maine)
  • You are over the age of 18
  • You want to change your name, gender marker, or update your ID documents



Special thanks to attorney Zack Paakkonen for consulting with us on the initial creation of this guide in 2016

November, 2022