This classroom will walk you through the basics of security deposits in Maine, from what you should do before you move in, to what you can do if you don't get your deposit back when you move out. It explains what security deposits are, and steps you can take to make sure you get your deposit back when you move out.
Is this classroom for you?
You may use this classroom if:
- You are renting
- You plan on renting in the future
- You have moved out, and want to know how to get your security deposit back
If you have other questions about rental housing, you should visit our guide to Rights of Tenants in Maine.
How this classroom works:
We've created this classroom so you can walk through a process step-by-step and keep track of your progress. The general topics are numbered on the left side of your screen.
- Click on the name of the step you want to visit OR use the “next” and “previous” buttons at the bottom of each page to go between sections of the classroom.
- Click the gray checkmark next to each step when you’re done. It will turn green. Next time you come back to the classroom, you can pick up where you left off.
- OR read through the steps without checking them off just to learn more about the process. If you check something off by mistake, just click on the checkmark again to un-check it.
Published: August 2016